Sunday, March 2, 2014

Our Birth Story...

Merlin was born on February 17th  at 38 weeks and one day; 3 days after the Valentine full moon.

It all started around 1 am, I was having some light contractions like every other nights, so I started my little 'dance'.
At 2:30am, the contractions were closer and I understood it was serious this time, so I started preparing my den!: sweeping the bathroom floor, emptying the garbage can, preparing the towels etc has we had plan an unassisted water birth.
At 3:30am the contractions were every few minutes apart, so I woke up Hubby and asked him to prepare the bath; it was a bit challenging to get in the bath tub between contractions.
We settle a soft lighting and some candles.
Once in water, I squatted and swing on the contractions waves, breathing as I felt it; But I realized I was breathing too deeply and it over ventilated me, I was kind of dizzy and the candles made me see like a white orb, so we blew them up. I thought that the water would have been more helpful but I accepted as it was thinking that it could be worst!
As time went, the contractions were stronger and stronger, I had to find another position and I turned around, I was starting to find the process to be too long and I started to worry a bit but suddenly a big contraction with a push broke my water and I felt like an empty pouch, that worried me as well, but I brought back some positive affirmations and as the pain was very strong I asked hubby for some natural oxytocin that he gave me with kisses and hugs, it helped a lot.
A new feeling came; a feeling to push, I was not sure if it was the right time but once again I trusted  my natural instinct and let my body do his job.
I was massaging and supporting my perineum and suddenly felt baby's head crowning; it was a powerful moment. With each push I was holding hubby's wrists tightly and focusing on opening for the baby ; I tuned with him to work together. A strong push associated with a guttural sound make his head appear; I asked hubby to support his head; he was surprised to feel his little nose; it was a magical and very strong moment. Then another strong push came and baby's body came out with a kind of a twist; hubby helped him gently to get out of the water on Mommy's tummy. Pure bliss moment! We did it!
Our baby boy was here crying a little and calming in Mom's arms.
He was cover with some vernix caseosa.
After few minutes, I decided to get out of the bath to deliver the placenta; we wrapped baby and mommy in towels and it was a bit challenging again as I had not much energy.
I sit over a bucket and waited for the placenta trying to get another contraction...but nothing; I was loosing the rest of my energy and started to faint; Hubby helped me to stay awake and then helped the placenta to come out by pulling gently on the ombilical cord (as we read it in an unassisted birthing book), I was not sure about that but finally after 40 minutes, the placenta came out and I was out of energy and almost fainted 2 more times; I was really pale.
I then went on the floor to rest and drank a fresh coconut water; baby was sleeping peacefully with his umbilical cord still attach to his placenta.
It was a wonderful experience, it was a conscious birthing where we discovered much about the power of our own body.


No comments:

Post a Comment